[Standards] Flash binding for Jingle

Michal 'vorner' Vaner michal.vaner at kdemail.net
Wed Jan 31 19:39:34 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 07:21:00PM +0000, Ian Paterson wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>
> I agree it is not normally appropriate for the XSF to publish specs for
> interacting with proprietary protocols. However this case just might be
> an exception.
>
> While there are plenty of open alternatives to MS Office files, Flash is
> still the _only_ way that an XMPP Web client (installed on a typical
> public website) can do Jingle without asking most users to install a
> plugin. Furthermore, AFAIK, there is nothing open and ubiquitous coming
> over the horizon.

I do not object to it as long as there is something on server that
translates it to "normal" way for the fat clients. It would be nice if
web-Voip would be possible, but then you would have to either implement
this in the fat clients (which I do not like at all) or the web ones can
not talk to the "normal" ones, which is a problem too. Is it there like
this (I'm not sure if I get it right - is there a middle thing as a
server?)

(As for me, I think flash is not nice at all and it does not belong to
web, but it is other opinion that is probably OT)

--
A nuclear war can ruin your whole day.

Michal 'vorner' Vaner