[Standards] privacy lists, block lists, and invisibility

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Jan 31 21:58:31 UTC 2007

It's important for us to admit when we are wrong. And I'm starting to
think that we were wrong to develop block lists (XEP-0191). Are privacy
lists (XEP-0016) really that complex? Perhaps not, because it seems that
they are being added to more and more clients and servers. So do we
really need a simplified front-end to privacy lists, i.e., do we really
need block lists? Probably not -- especially because it is difficult to
correctly specify the interaction between privacy lists and block lists.
Furthermore, privacy lists give us flexibility that seems quite helpful
in the context of our existing infrastructure, such as the ability to
block all contacts who are not in one's roster. By contrast, block lists
  only enable one to block based on JabberID, which seems pretty
primitive by comparison. Perhaps privacy lists could be simplified a bit
to make them easier to implement (suggestions are welcome), but I don't
sense a lot of enthusiasm and consensus for XEP-0191, so I am thinking
about retracting it.

However, I do think that XEP-0126 is a misuse of privacy lists for the
purpose of invisibility. XEP-0186 feels a lot cleaner to me -- it's a
simple "on/off" command and doesn't require complicated manipulation of
privacy lists (which should be more stable) for a real-time mode like
invisibility/visibility. So I would like to push forward with XEP-0186
so we can finalize, implement, and deploy it.

Thoughts?

XMPP Standards Foundation