Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Jul 3 03:33:57 UTC 2007

Rachel Blackman wrote:

> On Jul 2, 2007, at 3:16 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>
>> Mridul Muralidharan wrote:
>>
>>> Forgot to add, change name from ver & ext to verh and exth ?
>>
>> Why?
>
> Because the caching logic is not identical; hash-forms are global,
> rather than client-specific.  If Psi and Exodus have precisely the same
> capabilities, they will generate the same hash and I should not need to
> re-query it, even if they have different caps nodes.

Right. And it seems that perhaps we don't need the version at all. As
far as I can see, the "new" approach (it was suggested by Jacek back in
2003 so maybe we can't call it new) would have global hashes for all the
namespaces supported and that's all. Or we could include the service
discovery identity as well.

> That said, I think we can come up with some simpler logic.  If a given
> token is prefixed with 'h$', for instance, we know it's a hash and
> should be both validated against the result, and -- if it matches --
> cached globally instead of per-client.  But for backwards compatibility,
> a disco on node#h$<hash> would still give you the proper results, and
> COULD be cached on a per-client basis.

Possible. But where does the token go? It seems preferable to define a
new attribute for this. Hmph.

XMPP Standards Foundation