Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Tue Jul 3 16:40:24 UTC 2007

>>> The XEP could also specify that if a client sets the value of the
>>> 'node' attribute to "$" then it MUST NOT include an 'ext' attribute.
>> Not sure about this, it really depends on how ext is actually used
>> in the wild, as Joe said. I'd be tempted to leave this somewhat
>> open, at least for now. It could be that we could grow a set of
>> extensions of commonly co-implemented features, bearing no actual
>> relation to client plugins, and cut down traffic that way. But
>> such things require quite a bit of research.
>
> Ext is used in the wild.  My initial reaction is that it is still
> needed, but on further thought, I can't see why.

If you remove ext, you create MORE separate things to cache, and thus
recreate more network traffic.  Because now, client Foo with plugin
Bar installed will have an entirely different hash than client Foo
without Bar installed.  With ext, client Foo has the same
capabilities hash in both cases, but one has an additional ext hash
for plugin Bar's capabilities.