Joe Hildebrand hildjj at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 02:08:31 UTC 2007

On Jul 3, 2007, at 3:04 PM, Ian Paterson wrote:

> Hmm, going forward, are the clients that most people use going to
> continue showing these icons? Is this a feature we need to care
> about? Even though I'm one of the small group of people involved in
> the XMPP community, I really don't care what client my contacts are
> using. Will there ever be mass demand for this feature? On the rare
> occasions where people are interested, they'll probably be
> perfectly happy to explicitly ask their client to find out the
> other user's client version on a case-by-case basis.

In general, I agree with you, but this was one of the reasons people
were doing version floods, which is why we came up with 115 in the
first place.

In specific, I have a particular use case (that I can't talk much
about, unfortunately) that absolutely relies the node being
distinguishable.

Changing the meaning of node breaks backwards compatibility, whereas
nothing else in the current proposal does.  If there's no good reason
to break backward compatibility, I suggest that we avoid it.

--
Joe Hildebrand