[Standards] XEP-0108: registry?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Jul 5 02:24:49 UTC 2007

Daniel Noll wrote:
>> Someone poked me about adding the following activity to XEP-0108:
>>
>> talking/on_video_phone
>>
>> Which seems reasonable and I'm happy to add it to the spec. But it
>> strikes me that we might just want to have a registry for this kind of
>> thing, eh? :)
>
> A registry would be nice, but mind you, I still consider this particular
> example to fall under on_the_phone.
>
> Whether it's a mobile, a landline phone, a 3G video mobile, a VOIP client,
> a VOIP hardphone, two tin cans and a piece of string or a future phone
> which projects the other talker in a 3D hologram... doesn't really matter
> to me.  They're all phones.

If I'm on an audio call, I might be able to IM with you in the
background without the other person knowing. But I can't very well get
away with that on a video call. So I think the distinction provides
useful information wrt my ability to communicate. And that's what
extended presence is all about, no?

/psa