[Standards] XEP-0108: registry?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Jul 5 15:53:08 UTC 2007

Daniel Noll wrote:
>>> doesn't really matter to me.  They're all phones.
>> If I'm on an audio call, I might be able to IM with you in the
>> background without the other person knowing. But I can't very well get
>> away with that on a video call. So I think the distinction provides
>> useful information wrt my ability to communicate. And that's what
>> extended presence is all about, no?
>
> Hmm... that could be a thought.  Although...
>
>   1. There are already activities in the list which don't necessarily help
>      the other user determine if they can send a message.

Did we say that all activities needed to help other users determine if
it's appropriate to send a message?

> e.g. for
>      "gaming", if they're playing Solitaire, I'd say they can respond to
>      messages.  There are games where they can't.

XEP-0108 is extensible. People can always define more precise
sub-activities if they want to.

We *could* do that with the video phone activity. It's a bit of a
borderline case, but IMHO it's going to be common enough that we want to
define a separate activity for it.

>   2. We already have presence for the other user to determine if I'm
>      contactable.  i.e. can I not just set DND while on a video call?

XEP-0108 is for things that are much more granular than <show>dnd</show>.

XMPP Standards Foundation