[Standards] private storage revisited

Mridul Muralidharan mridul at sun.com
Sun Jul 8 17:34:53 UTC 2007

Ian Paterson wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> So we'd have something like this:
>>
>> <iq from='juliet at capulet.com/balcony' type='set' id='foo'>
>>   <pubsub xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub'>
>>     <publish node='http://jabber.org/protocol/activity'>
>>       <item>
>>         <activity xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/activity'>
>>           <relaxing>
>>             <partying/>
>>           </relaxing>
>>           <text xml:lang='en'>My nurse's birthday!</text>
>>         </activity>
>>       </item>
>>     </publish>
>>     <preconditions>
>>       <x xmlns='jabber:x:data' type='submit'>
>>         <field var='FORM_TYPE' type='hidden'>
>>           <value>http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#node_config</value>
>>         </field>
>>         <field var='pubsub#access_model'>
>>         </field>
>>       </x>
>>     </preconditions>
>>   </pubsub>
>> </iq>
>>
>> If the node exists and the precondition is not met (in this case, if the
>> access model is something other than "whitelist"), then the publish
>> fails with a suitable error condition (probably <conflict/> along with
>> some pubsub-specific condition).
>>
>> If the node exists and the precondition is met, then the publish
>> succeeds.
>>
>> If the node does not exist, then the service auto-creates the node with
>> default configuration in all respects except those specified in the
>> preconditions (in this case, the node would be created with an access
>> model of "whitelist") and the publish succeeds.
>>
>> Correct?
>>

> Correct. +1
>
> Thank you Ralph, Peter.
>
> Wow! consensus on Personal Publishing! I'm off to celebrate :-) :-)
>
> - Ian

Whether to autocreate or to return error saying node does not exist
(item-not-found) - can this be an implementation detail ? That is, are
clients expected to handle the error path too and explictly create ?
We do not have auto create in pubsub iirc (not sure if pubsub was
modified to support this) - so supporting this for pep will implictly
mean supporting it for pubsub too (same namespace, etc).

But in general, preconditions are great way to assert access level for
clients/nodes which require strict acl's.

Regards,
Mridul

PS : Hope this is not going back to the same path's earlier, just wanted
to get it clarified.