[Standards] XEP-0047 (Flow rate control for IBB)

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Thu Jul 19 19:50:54 UTC 2007

On Thursday 19 July 2007 7:58 am, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> William Voorsluys wrote:
> >> This would work:
> >>
> >> <iq from='juliet at capulet.com/balcony' to='romeo at montague.net/orchard'
> >>     type='result' id='ibb1'>
> >>   <data xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/ibb' sid='mySID' seq='0'>
> >> </iq>
> >
> > Well, I don't think that XEP-0047 would allow such a response. It is
> > not clear in the XEP that a client should reply including a <data>
> > element preserving 'sid' and 'seq'. So, most clients wouldn't do that,
> > preventing our implementation to interoperate.
> > Am I right?
>
> AFAIK, few clients have implemented IBB. We could definitely update the
> spec to reflect this kind of acking, which makes a lot of sense IMHO.
>
> Justin, what say you?

I'm against adding redundant information like this into the stanzas.

Maybe William can explain what he means by "filtering" and how this is
difficult?  If the problem is that one cannot inspect an iq result stanza
with no child elements and immediately know what protocol it is for, well,
then that is not an IBB-specific issue.  An iq result stanza with no child
elements could be the result of anything, even a roster update.  If you want
to track IBB, you have to track the iq get/set stanza, and match the id
attribute with the response.  This is just how XMPP works.

-Justin