[Standards] XEP-0045: direct invitations

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Jul 19 21:55:53 UTC 2007

Michal 'vorner' Vaner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 03:34:25PM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Michal 'vorner' Vaner wrote:

>>> Hm, just a question - how do you handle the tricks like adding the user
>>> to member list, adding a password to the invitation (that could have
>>> change since the occupant entered, so he does not know the new one, or
>>> his client does not) or room that does not allow you to send invites?
>> You don't.
>
> Wouldn't it be nice to be able to do something about it?

Maybe. One "solution" is to say that if you send a direct invitation,
you get reduced functionality. Sorry.

BTW, I don't know of *any* password-protected rooms. Typically if we
want to restrict access, we make the room members-only. But that's rare
enough that the social solution tends to work (ping the room owner
directly).

> For example
> send an iq to the MUC server to prepare the stanza for you and you just
> sent it out? Like ask it for an advice (optional)?

Yes, we could define that it would be used precisely 3 times in the
history of mankind. :)

> <iq to='muc at room' type='get'>
>   <advice xmlns='…'>
>     <invite
>>     </invite>
>   </advice>
> </iq>
>
> <iq from='muc at room' type='result'>
>   <advice xmlns='…'>
>     <invite
>>     </invite>
>   </advice>
> </iq>

Sure, that's possible. If people really want that, we could define it.

Understand that the main driver here is Google Talk. You can't receive
messages in Google Talk unless you add the sender of the incoming
message to your roster first. That doesn't work with random chat rooms,
with the result that Google Talk users can't join chatrooms on the
Jabber network. That's a shame. Direct invitations would enable us to
work around that.