[Standards] XEP-0045: roomnick case

Andrew Plotkin erkyrath at eblong.com
Fri Jul 20 16:53:53 UTC 2007

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007, textshell-E19442 at neutronstar.dyndns.org wrote:

> I think if we want to solve this in a compatible way we should just
> let the muc server block multiple nicks in the same room with only
> differ in case (rephrase that in Stringprep section numbers, etc)
>
> If a server works that way (and maybe announces with a status code on
> join) the clients MAY do local case folding as they like.
>
> I think this should be allowed without changing the muc XEP at all,
> it's just something the implementation would need to code.

I'm late posting, but case-sensitivity is just one of many ways that room
nicks can be confusing. "StPeter" vs "St.Peter" vs "St. Peter" vs
"St Peter", or even "StPeter " -- and then there are all the visually
confusable Unicode glyphs. ("StΡeter".) It's not obvious to me that
case-folding is the worst of these.

Is there any kind of spec for visually distinguishable strings? (Beyond
"case-folding is easy", which is a searching-under-the-streetlight kind of
solution.) If not, better to let implementations deal with it, because the
problem will evolve over time.

--Z

*
If the Bush administration hasn't subjected you to searches without a warrant,
it's for one reason: they don't feel like it. Not because you're innocent.