[Standards] JID Escaping

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Jul 20 18:04:37 UTC 2007

Michal 'vorner' Vaner wrote:

>>  User JID: mats at home.se/coci at home.se/mats at home.se/coci
>
> Once again: if this _is_ a JID, you do no escaping. Then mats is node,
> home.se is server and the rest is resource.
>
> JID escaping is when you want to have some "odd" thing in the node part
> and you know what is node.

Right. JID escaping is not escaping of full JIDs, it is escaping of node
identifiers. A title "Node Identifier Escaping" doesn't sound as catchy,
but we could change it if people really care. What we care about here
are bare JIDs (which is what we assume people will exchange or talk
about), but we ignore the domain identifier part since that is not of
interest in this context (mostly, being able to re-use characters that
people already use for email, like single-quote).

/psa