[Standards] Re: JID Escaping

Mats Bengtsson matben at privat.utfors.se
Mon Jul 23 07:39:26 UTC 2007

psa:
> Robin Redeker wrote:

>> > The XEP seems to already create a lot of trouble. Just remind me to
>> > register '\20stpeter at jabber.org' when every client unescapes JIDs  ;-)
>
> No problem. The spec says:
>
> "The character sequence \20 MUST NOT be the first or last character of
> an escaped node identifier."

Besides this I still think the XEP is misleading since it frequently mentions
"d'artagnan at musketeers.lit" as it was an ordinary user (and is) and it leads
a developer (me) to believe that this mapping shall be generally applied.
Also, the motivations behind the XEP as mentioned in its Introduction
uses ordinary user's name (O'Hara and D'Artagnan).

I can see that the XEP is useful in both situations, ordinary users where the
node+domain+resource split is not known beforehand, and where we need
a 1-to-1 mapping, which therefore excludes "@" and/or "/",
and the handling of non-XMPP addresses, where also the "@" and "/" characters
need to be escaped.

Mats