[Standards] JID Escaping

Mridul Muralidharan mridul at sun.com
Wed Jul 25 15:48:37 UTC 2007

Greg Hudson wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 10:02 +0530, Mridul Muralidharan wrote:
>> As long as we have prohibited characters - and '@' is always going to be
>> there in node part, we will need escaping :-)
>
> There's an underlying assumption here that JID nodes must be able to
> contain, in their display representations, the verbatim identifiers from
> any other system.

The requirement here is that deployments/users would want to use the
same user id across multiple applications - and the node of their JID
ends up being same as their uid typically.
Since node cant contain prohibited characters, we escape or encode them
- a spec allows all clients and servers to do this in a standard way.
For display, use JUD or nick, etc - node should be the fallback in case
info cant be obtained through other means.

> That's not true of email; why does it need to be true of XMPP?  If a JID
> node can contain a "@" character in its display representation, there's
> no nice way to display that JID safely to the user.
> romeo at capulet.org@montague.org is perhaps unambiguous but is certainly
> confusing.

This is invalid as a JID as per xmpp rfc.

Mridul