[Standards] XEP-0045: roomnick case

Mridul Muralidharan mridul at sun.com
Fri Jul 27 03:47:03 UTC 2007

Jack Moffitt wrote:
>> Currently in XEP-0045, roomnicks are case-sensitive. To be precise
>> roomnicks are handled according to the Resourceprep profile of
>> stringprep:
>>
>> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html#bizrules-jids
>>
>> This means that the following roomnicks are all different:
>>
>> StPeter
>> stpeter
>> STPETER
>>
>> Some people have pointed out that this can be confusing to end users.
>
> Not only this, but it's very easy to "steal" someone's identity when
> they are not there.  You just log in with their normal nick.
>
> At Chesspark we make all public rooms non-anonymous and we always show
> the full jid or (if they are in your roster) the roster nick for that
> person.  That way no one is ever confused who is who.  So we've
> basically solved this in the client.  All this nick stuff stuff is so
> IRCish anyway.  It's nice if what you want is an anonymous room, but
> for everything else, it's just a mess IMO.
>
> After trying several solutions we found that this was least confusing
> to everyone and we have gotten no complaints except for the occasional
> jerk that signs up with a name like st.peter or stpeter_, but there's
> little you can do about that but ban the offenders.
>
> jack.

Unless rooms are not anonymous, clients have no way to validate who the
participants are anyway - so it is not really stealing : you dont
register the nick, it is not tied to your jid in any way.
In anonymous rooms you dont know who the participants are - so relying
on nicks to give a hint of the identity would be wrong.

Mridul