[Standards] JID Escaping

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 30 16:57:21 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 10:49 -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Or do what this person is going to do -- prevent people who have ' in
> their email address from using Jabber! (Sorry, no address mapping for you!)

I don't have any issue with JID escaping for characters like '.  In
fact, I don't know why ' isn't allowed in JID nodes in the first place,
but what's done is done.

I am concerned, though, that I could create stpeter
\40xjabber.org at example.com and clients would present that as
stpeter at jabber.org@example.com.  Although the clued-in user could
recognize that as an example.com JID, many would probably see it as
"Peter with some weird extra routing gunk."

Perhaps the answer is to say that clients MAY pick and choose which
characters to unescape in order to avoid creating confusion for users.
@ would probably be first on the chopping block, with space and / not
too far behind.