[Standards] JID Escaping

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.eu
Mon Jul 30 18:28:01 UTC 2007

Matthias Wimmer schrieb:
> Going that way would AFAICS only require us to define a new stringprep
> profile allowing the new characters as well as defining the new stream
> feature. - I consider this to be cleaner, easier to implement and being
> more solid.

BTW: I have not checked the exact characters draft-ietf-eai-downgrade-04
et al do allow to internationalized local parts of e-mail addresses. But
I could imagine that they are using stringprep as well. So if the
alloced characters in i18n e-mail addresses is a superset of the nodes
in JIDs, we could just use the same stringprep profile for it.

If not I would propose to check if allowing the set union of characters
allowed in internationalized local-parts of e-mail addresses would be
possible. (i.e. any valid e-mail address could then be used as a JID as
well)

Matthias