[Standards] JID Escaping

Robin Redeker elmex at x-paste.de
Mon Jul 30 22:08:05 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 01:57:05PM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Matthias Wimmer wrote:
> > - \20stpeter at jabber.org is an allowed JID by XMPP, but somehow
> > prohibited by JID escaping XEP. It is not very clear how to handle this
> > when doing unescaping. Not unescaping? Then we need an exception for the
> > escaping rules again, that when reescaping, this does not have to be
> > encoded as \2f20stpeter at jabber.org.
>
> Yes, that case is messy. We added it to XEP-0106 mostly to handle an odd
> gateway case for LDAP, not native XMPP addresses. I'm open to removing
> it for native addresses.

Sounds like a good plan, because the XEP doesn't define how to act if
someone sends such a JID.

I guess the displaying implications, which will kick in if it is
decided that every client SHOULD do unescaping to display a contact,
are clear. In case every client SHOULD perform unescaping to display
JIDs or contacts, a paragraph might be added to '7. Security
Considerations' advising clients to inform the user somehow that
there were spaces in the nodepart of the JID.