[Standards] <[CDATA[ in XMPP

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Jul 30 22:48:53 UTC 2007

Robin Redeker wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 02:13:36AM +0400, Sergei Golovan wrote:
>> On 7/31/07, Mickael Remond <mickael.remond at process-one.net> wrote:
>>> XMPP is XML.
>> XMPP is not XML.
>
> Looks like we need a bit more clarification about this issue in the
> upcoming rfc3920bis, no?

Quite possibly.

> I would even recommend inventing a new term for it: XMPPL

Cute.

> If we don't call something XML which clearly is not XML, then there
> aren't any further confusions possible.
>
> But still the term 'XML' is quite often used in the XMPP specs.

Interestingly, the first paragraph of the XML specification says:

***

Extensible Markup Language, abbreviated XML, describes a class of data
objects called XML documents and partially describes the behavior of
computer programs which process them. XML is an application profile or
restricted form of SGML, the Standard Generalized Markup Language [ISO
8879]. By construction, XML documents are conforming SGML documents.

***

Is it true that "XML is SGML"? Obviously some SGML pedants would object
because XML is "an application profile or restricted form of SGML". Yet
"XML documents are conforming SGML documents"! So here we have a rough
definition of conformance, and a working example since XML conforms to SGML.

Similarly, a complete XMPP session (with start and end stream tags) is a
conforming XML document. Just because the session does not include
comments, processing instructions, DTD subsets, entity references other
than those predefined in the XML spec, other other restricted features
does not mean that the session is not an XML document.

So we could say this in rfc3920bis:

***

The Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) defines a class of
data objects called XML streams as well as the behavior of computer
programs that process XML streams. XMPP is an application profile or
restricted form of the Extensible Markup Language (XML). A complete XML
stream (including start and end stream tags) is a conforming XML document.

***

> (Please take this mail as serious as you like, I don't know how serious I mean it.)

Don't worry, I take all of your emails that way. :P

/psa