[Standards] <[CDATA[ in XMPP

Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Mon Jul 30 23:18:23 UTC 2007

On Jul 30, 2007, at 4:07 PM, Tobias S. Josefowitz wrote:

> On 7/31/07, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org> wrote:
>
>> How does the inclusion of STARTTLS negotiation cause the complete XML
>> stream to not be an XML document?
>
> simplified:
>
> echo
> "<stream><startls/>FIWOEHFWEUIFH#*(WUFH(#*FDHPE*H(RP@#HJR*(&@RH
> (@#*FH#@(*R@#H(#@
> *R&HF@*#&@#RH*#@FH@#)*$TH$#" | xmlwf
> STDIN:1:59: not well-formed (invalid token)
>
> You probably get the idea.

Not that I disagree that XMPP should be defined as a rational subset
of XML, rather than including the whole spec, but... this seems to be
needlessly splitting hairs, to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the definition of XMPP is that you /
restart the stream/ when you get an opening <stream> element (such as
after starttls or whatever).  Given that the stream starts over with
the new <stream>, the complete XML stream is indeed still a complete
and valid document.

(I assume that for the sake of sanity -- and given that at that point
the /entire stream/ is encrypted -- we can assume that a stream would
be decrypted before being validated.)