[Standards] <[CDATA[ in XMPP

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Jul 30 23:23:19 UTC 2007

Tobias S. Josefowitz wrote:
> On 7/31/07, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org> wrote:
>
>> How does the inclusion of STARTTLS negotiation cause the complete XML
>> stream to not be an XML document?
>
> simplified:
>
> echo
> "<stream><startls/>FIWOEHFWEUIFH#*(WUFH(#*FDHPE*H(RP@#HJR*(&@RH(@#*FH#@(*R@#H(#@
> *R&HF@*#&@#RH*#@FH@#)*$TH$#" | xmlwf
> STDIN:1:59: not well-formed (invalid token)

The receiving entity and initiating entity must consider the original
stream to be closed upon success or failure of the TLS negotiation.

Naturally, if pedantry is desired then we could specify that both
parties must send a some kind of stream closure (not an error, but a
continue) with ending stream element upon success or failure of the TLS
negotiation. But that seems rather, well, pedantic.

https://stpeter.im/