[Standards] <[CDATA[ in XMPP

Mickael Remond mickael.remond at process-one.net
Tue Jul 31 05:32:59 UTC 2007

Hello,

----- Original Message -----
> Read that carefully. "All way to escape characters are good."
>
> If we are viewing CDATA as 'one more way to escape characters,' then
> we need to think about the implications.  Because I will /guarantee/
> you that if we recommend CDATA as an escaping method, then someone
> will do a <![CDATA[john&mary at family.org]]> in an <item/> value, or
> whatever.

We are not talking about JID escaping here. I agree with textshel, it does
not happen at the same level:
  "CDATA is purely XML level and doesn't carry any semantic meaning.
  And yes, the normal compliant XML parser doesn't even bother to tell
  you how the data was encoded in the byte stream. "

An XML parser will return an identical tree where as your XML stream is
encoding using CDATA or entity.
It does not interfere with what you do with the result of the tree: JID
escaping, stringprep, etc.

--
Mickaël Rémond
 http://www.process-one.net/