[Standards] <[CDATA[ in XMPP

Sergei Golovan sgolovan at nes.ru
Tue Jul 31 13:22:50 UTC 2007

On 7/31/07, Mickaël Rémond <mickael.remond at process-one.net> wrote:
>  Hello,
> Le 31 juil. 07 à 13:58, Mridul a écrit :
>
>>   Not sure where the confusion was ... I always assumed that support for
>> CDATA was a given since it is just another xml construct.
>
> So am I. I have been surprise by the heated debate :)

The main mistake you did (and probably the only mistake, because CDATA
is indeed a valid XML construct) is that you BREAK THINGS.

Since NO software used CDATA before there's certainly some which will break.

I don't know about others but personally I don't like uncertainty and
I don't like to search over the software after upgrade to find why it
stops working.

I would say that ejabberd is not a tool to convince (force?) people to
use clients/servers with full XML parser. Developing it one must try
to keep it compatible with clients and not break them.

Cheers!
--
Sergei Golovan