[Standards] Jingle: what's left?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Jun 26 15:38:28 UTC 2007

Unnikrishnan V wrote:
>  SRTP for media

I don't think it's up to us to solve the secure media problem. There is
a lot of ongoing discussion about this topic on the rtpsec mailing list
at the IETF (mostly ZRTP vs. DTLS-SRTP). What we need to do is enable
the two parties to include the right bits in their signalling exchange
so they can use DTLS-SRTP if they want to (ZRTP is negotiated entirely
within the media band, so it is totally out of scope for Jingle). And I
think we have already defined those bits in XEP-0167 and XEP-0180,
because the Jingle client can include "UDP/TLS/RTP/AVP" as the value of
the <content/> element's 'profile' attribute -- this essentially a
Jingle mapping of what is specified in draft-fischl-mmusic-sdp-dtls.

Naturally the XMPP signalling path should also be secure, but that is a
separate problem (join the security at xmpp.org list to discuss it if you'd
like).

XMPP Standards Foundation