[Standards] Namespace Priority

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Fri Mar 2 02:28:55 UTC 2007

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Ian Paterson wrote:
>> The Yate and Jingle/Telepathy talks at FOSDEM got me thinking about
>> the Resource Application Priority issue for non subscribers.
>
> Why do we care about non-subscribers? We've got buddy lists. We've got
> presence. Let's use 'em.

While I agree that we should use presence whenever possible, IMO it's
just not realistic to believe that everyone we want to voice call is
going to give up their privacy to us (i.e., allow us to subscribe to
their presence).

The list of people who are allowed to call me is much longer than the
people who are permitted to see my presence, I expect I am not alone in
that.

This issue was raised during both the Jingle talks at FOSDEM, so IMHO
exploring the possible solutions is a worthwhile exercise.
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2007-February/014000.html

- Ian