[Standards] Namespace Priority

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Mar 5 20:57:20 UTC 2007

Ian Paterson wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Ian Paterson wrote:
>>> The Yate and Jingle/Telepathy talks at FOSDEM got me thinking about
>>> the Resource Application Priority issue for non subscribers.
>>
>> Why do we care about non-subscribers? We've got buddy lists. We've got
>> presence. Let's use 'em.
>
> While I agree that we should use presence whenever possible, IMO it's
> just not realistic to believe that everyone we want to voice call is
> going to give up their privacy to us (i.e., allow us to subscribe to
> their presence).
>
> The list of people who are allowed to call me is much longer than the
> people who are permitted to see my presence, I expect I am not alone in
> that.
>
> This issue was raised during both the Jingle talks at FOSDEM, so IMHO
> exploring the possible solutions is a worthwhile exercise.
> http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2007-February/014000.html

Jingle is not a telephony application, wherein you want to receive calls
from anyone in the world. Jingle is an extension to XMPP and IMHO it is
best to assume that if you're using XMPP you have a roster with people
who have subscribed to your presence. So let's use what we've got and
not try to build something that violates our core assumptions.

XMPP Standards Foundation