[Standards] Jingle bootstrapping

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Mar 5 23:34:19 UTC 2007

Justin Karneges wrote:
> The reason there is interest in STUN and STUN
> Relaying is because they are being approved within the IETF.  We would do
> well to adopt these protocols instead of (or in place of) our own.

IMHO the reason there is interest in STUN/TURN/ICE is that those are the
solutions that the SIP community is developing, and people in our
community don't want to break interoperability with SIP if they don't
have to. But I agree with Jean-Louis that we may not need to use those
technologies directly. As long as we can gateway to SIP then we have
interoperability -- leave that gatewaying stuff up to an implementation
such as YATE (as Diana Cionoiu talked about at FOSDEM). If we say that
Jabber clients need to do everything SIP clients are doing except with
angle brackets, we're breaking our philosophy of keeping clients simple
and pushing complexity onto the server.

XMPP Standards Foundation