[Standards] Re: Jingle bootstrapping

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Mar 5 23:55:49 UTC 2007

Matt Tucker wrote:

> I'd like to suggest the following:
>
>  1) More people dive deep into the Jingle issues as soon as possible.
> Yes, it's quite complicated, but having more voices at the table would
> make the effort worth it.

It sure seems complicated at the beginning, but as Jean-Louis says maybe
there are ways to simplify it quite a bit by taking advantage of what we
already have.

One simplification I will make soon is to radically reduce the number of
actions in the state chart from XEP-0166. Robert McQueen reports that
his team needed only 8 of the actions to get voice and video chats
working quite well in OLPC, so I'd be curious to see if we really need
more than that. Simplify, simplify, simplify.

>  2) Continue experiments down all possible paths. We'll document some of
> the techniques we're trying so that others can understand them more
> clearly and try them as well. If Robert is able to do the TURN work,
> we'll have that info as well.

Wow, rough consensus and running code! :)

>  3) Set some clear goals for what we're trying to do with Jingle so that
> we have some criteria to evaluate the different approaches. Just to get
> the conversation started, here are some ideas (nothing particulary new):
>
>  * Make Jingle NAT traversal easier to implement than any competing
> technology.
>  * Deliver working implementations and standards ahead of everybody
> else.
>  * Push Jingle to support a broad range of real-time interactions (not
> just VoIP). That could include file transfer, screen share, etc.

And some clear non-goals, too, such as:

* Don't build a true telephony application. This is for simple (we hope)
voice chat, video chat, etc. Thus we don't need things like forking,
call transfer, etc. If people want to build that in at some point using
their own extensions, I would have no objections, but let's not encumber
the core protocol with addressing advanced telephony features.

XMPP Standards Foundation