[Standards] XMPP vs. Jabber

Chris Mullins chris.mullins at coversant.net
Thu Mar 8 19:15:47 UTC 2007

Andreas Monitzer Wrote:
> One of the Adium developers compared XMPP vs. Jabber to
> email vs.  SMTP: When asking people on the street, close
> to everybody will know what email is, but you'll have a
> hard time finding somebody who knows what SMTP is
> (even some computer science students don't know that).

That's not a very good analogy - email is a term (mostly) free of
corporate & trademark baggage. There's no company or product named
"email'.

For example, imagine nobody used HTML or HTTP (way too geeky), but
instead it was "Internet Explorer" or "Internet Information Server".
Apache, Firefox, and others wouldn't be too happy about that.

It still boils down to a corporate name / trademark issue. We're making
phenomenal progress with the renaming of Jabber to XMPP! There's no
reason to start heading the other way.

--
Chris Mullins