[Standards] XMPP vs. Jabber

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 19:40:27 UTC 2007

On 3/8/07, Chris Mullins <chris.mullins at coversant.net> wrote:
> Andreas Monitzer Wrote:
> > One of the Adium developers compared XMPP vs. Jabber to
> > email vs.  SMTP: When asking people on the street, close
> > to everybody will know what email is, but you'll have a
> > hard time finding somebody who knows what SMTP is
> > (even some computer science students don't know that).
> That's not a very good analogy - email is a term (mostly) free of
> corporate & trademark baggage. There's no company or product named
> "email'.

  Hrm.  Perhaps a good time to go trademark the use of the phrase 'email'.

> For example, imagine nobody used HTML or HTTP (way too geeky), but
> instead it was "Internet Explorer" or "Internet Information Server".
> Apache, Firefox, and others wouldn't be too happy about that.

  Jabber, Inc evolved after jabber existed.  Do not confuse the
commercial entity with the jabber protocol as it existed before the
creation of Jabber.com.

> It still boils down to a corporate name / trademark issue. We're making
> phenomenal progress with the renaming of Jabber to XMPP! There's no
> reason to start heading the other way.

  And there's nothing wrong with it.  However, there is also nothing
wrong with describing XMPP as 'Jabber', unless of course you are going
to claim to have 'The Jabber Server'.  Then there's a problem.

--
-- Thomas