[Standards] XMPP vs. Jabber

Andreas Monitzer jig at monitzer.com
Thu Mar 8 19:49:34 UTC 2007

On Mar 08, 2007, at 20:15, Chris Mullins wrote:

> For example, imagine nobody used HTML or HTTP (way too geeky), but
> instead it was "Internet Explorer" or "Internet Information Server".
> Apache, Firefox, and others wouldn't be too happy about that.

I don't know about any product named "Jabber". There are two products
named jabberd, but that's something else ("Internet" isn't a
trademark even though "Internet Information Server" is).

> It still boils down to a corporate name / trademark issue. We're
> making
> phenomenal progress with the renaming of Jabber to XMPP! There's no
> reason to start heading the other way.

I can assure you that the name "XMPP" will never be used in Adium or
iChat, which amounts to about 99% of the IM users on the Mac. I asked
the gaim folks about the rename, and they said (paraphrased) "uhm,
well, we might do that some time".
There is no progress on the user side. The technical parts (protocol,
"xep", XMPP Standards Foundation, etc) were renamed to XMPP, but that
proposal wouldn't change anything there.

andy