[Standards] XMPP vs. Jabber

Matt Tucker matt at jivesoftware.com
Thu Mar 8 20:02:25 UTC 2007

Unfortunately, I think this is a non-productive debate for now. Our
community seems to love the Jabber name. Given it's history and the fact
that it's a lot more catchy than XMPP, I can understand why.

On the other hand, Jabber is a trademark and the name of the company.
That means that other commercial companies won't fully embrace the name.
User confusion around "Jabber" will simply always exist as well -- users
will type jabber.com first when they want to know about "jabber" and
voila.

Personally, I shrug at the current situation and am happy that we're
slowly moving forward. The XSF rename was a good step. Clients will keep
making particular naming choices, along with server vendors. That will
probably lead to the best consensus over time rather than trying to
debate it out in the mailing lists.

BTW, why is this in standards? :)

-Matt