[Standards] XMPP vs. Jabber

JD Conley jd.conley at coversant.net
Thu Mar 8 20:15:59 UTC 2007

We, Coversant, don't call it XMPP on any of our forward facing user
interfaces. We call things SoapBox and, just like Apple/iChat in the
post Boyd just linked to, we say we are compatible with Google Talk and
other XMPP based systems. We're also pretty presumptuous and say "IM
Address" instead of "Jabber ID". Most often when talking to people we go
up a level of abstraction and start referring to what we do as the
consumer facing application it is. We refer to IM or presence or
conferencing or file transfer or voip or xml messaging for developers,
etc.

We, the standards based community, have been fighting a battle for a
long time. The IM/presence networks out there still don't talk to each
other. If I were building an aggregator UI like Trillian I'd let users
choose from AIM, MSN, Yahoo!, Google Talk, Live Journal, etc (even
though the latter two speak the same language). That's what people want
to see. They want the brand they're familiar with. That is the main
issue with using the term Jabber to describe XMPP services. It's a
confusing brand with too many meanings. For the generic option, instead
of "Jabber" why not say something like "XMPP Account (Jabber)" to start
the transition?

-JD