Friendly XMPP Branding (Re: [Standards] XMPP vs. Jabber)

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Thu Mar 8 23:02:06 UTC 2007

On Thursday 08 March 2007 12:15 pm, JD Conley wrote:
> We're also pretty presumptuous and say "IM Address" instead of "Jabber ID".

We're considering the same.  Although because of the fragmented IM situation,
there will still be times when we have to explain what we conform to.  When
you say "Email address", no one is going to ask you "Which email?"  However,
with "IM Address", we do need to be prepared for the question: "Which IM?"

I wonder...  can we come up with a better answer than XMPP?  XMPP is hard to
say, hard to listen to, and not very informative by name alone.

What about...

Standard IM? ('Standard' sounds a bit stuffy)
Universal IM? (sounds like trillian)
Generic IM? (not very interesting, but better than "XMPP Account (Jabber)")
World IM?
XIM? (I kind of like this one, but I'd prefer the X not stand for XMPP)

"Standard IM" is terribly boring, but it also doesn't sound like an IM
flavor-of-the-week (which XIM might be mistaken as).

And on that note, Jabber is also often mistaken as yet-another-IM.  I have a
very nice concise answer for this:

Them: "What the heck is Jabber?"
Me: "Jabber is the fifth and final IM system."

It's good to be clear about where we stand.

-Justin