[Standards] Do we need STUN?

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Fri Mar 9 00:07:24 UTC 2007

If it is ever going to be possible to bridge SIP and Jingle, SIP and
Jingle endpoints need to be using the same NAT traversal algorithms,
right?

So even if we can design something simpler than STUN/TURN by taking
advantage of the XMPP server, we'd be unnecessarily consigning ourselves
to a non-interoperable silo in the VOIP world.

(This is assuming we haven't already consigned ourselves to a silo.  My
understanding of both SIP and Jingle is only ankle-deep at the moment.)