[Standards] Do we need STUN?

Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Fri Mar 9 00:45:15 UTC 2007

>> (This is assuming we haven't already consigned ourselves to a
>> silo.  My
>> understanding of both SIP and Jingle is only ankle-deep at the
>> moment.)
>
> Well we havn't yet. libjingle doesn't play ball with anyone else, but
> there's nobody else to play ball with yet. A Jingle implementation
> that
> uses "raw UDP" will be trivially gatewayable onto a SIP client, and
> I'd
> like the same to be possible for ICE-enabled clients too.

There's already a third-party translator out there, which acts as a
clearinghouse and lets you use SIP, Google Talk, AND the MSN and
Yahoo voicechats through their service, letting Google Talk people
talk to Yahoo or SIP or whatever.

http://www.gtalk2voip.com/

So it's definitely technologically possible to gateway these things. ;P