Friendly XMPP Branding (Re: [Standards] XMPP vs. Jabber)

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Fri Mar 9 00:49:25 UTC 2007

On Thursday 08 March 2007 3:42 pm, Rachel Blackman wrote:
> renaming the system yet again is not going to do anything to clarify the
> situation, I don't think.

I think this depends on the name we select.  There is a small movement to call
XMPP simply "IM" (e.g. IM Address, IM server), which the Coversant and Psi
projects are already considering.  It is kind of a rename, but not really.

Similarly, "Standard IM Address" (again, just an idea) isn't a full-on rename,
but rather more of a show of confidence. :)  But with just enough of an edge
that you know it isn't AIM we're talking about.

We could go a long way with more support from you people (*points at multi-IM
people*).  How about you lay out your account configuration menu like this?

  IM (XMPP/Jabber)
  AIM
  MSN
  Yahoo
  ICQ
  etc

Giving XMPP priority.  In this case we're still mentioning XMPP (and even
Jabber) to direct the user, but the real name is the very blatant "IM".  Just
seeing this list would instill a sense that XMPP is intented as the "main"
network.

Or even better, with a hierarchy:

  IM (XMPP/Jabber)
  Legacy IM networks (to be eventually discontinued by the FBI)

  ---
      AIM
      MSN
      Yahoo
      ICQ
      etc

Oh yes, if I were in charge of a multi-IM project, I'd have the left hand
working on protocol support with perfectionist precision and the right hand
developing a self-mocking UI. :)

OR:

  Standard IM (XMPP)

  ---