[Standards] Re: [OT] UIs for User Confusion

Alexander Gnauck gnauck at ag-software.de
Fri Mar 9 08:08:33 UTC 2007

Dave wrote:
> Yes, let's have a competition to see who can lose the most users by
> trying to misinform them.  (The sad thing is, I don't know if you'd
> even win such a competition: practically anybody at the IETF (and plenty
> outside of the IETF) could easily make a run for it.)  Those who don't
> value their users' freedom of thought will eventually lose their users.
> Truth has a tendency to get out, sooner or later.  Maybe it'll only happen
> when it's time to replace Jabber/XMPP/whatever, sometime in the future
> (possibly with a pubsub-based system, in order to take advantage of IP
> multicasting, or whatever), and somebody suddenly realizes that some nut
> at the JSF renamed Jabber into "IM" many years ago for the sole purpose
> of confusing users.

nobody of us will confuse users. But what we currently do is confusing
the users, because every software calls the Jabber-ID different. And not
only the Jabber-ID.

We all like the term Jabber, we also discussed this on DevCon 2 weeks
ago. But there are issues with it. I don't wanna repeat them again,
because we have discussed this topic countless times since early 2001 on
different lists. If somebody is new to the lists or this topic then do a
search and read the previous discussions.

Fact is that there are commercial companies but also individuals and
open source developers which will never use the term Jabber with the
current situation. Which means there is currently no way to standardise
it and get rid of the confusions with the term Jabber.

Alex