[Standards] Re: [OT] UIs for User Confusion

Dave lists+jabber_standards at bigfatdave.com
Sun Mar 11 10:23:39 UTC 2007

Look, I'm aware that many guys were quite adamant about the JSF changing its
name to avoid implicitely advertising Jabber, Inc.  I don't suppose I'd be
terribly happy to be competing with a guy I was forced to advertise because he
had the same name as my favorite protocol.  (I'm no longer in the XMPP camp, so
I can't say for sure.)  I never blamed anybody for the s/Jabber/XMPP/g that
happened as a result.  Besides, XMPP is a more descriptive term than Jabber.  My
usage of the term "Jabber" comes out of force of habit, and should not be
regarded as any type of endorsement of "Jabber" over "XMPP" (or any other name,
for that matter).

My comment wasn't about confusing users by calling Jabber XMPP, though.  It was
about confusing users by trying to pass Jabber off as just plain IM, which has
the linguistic implication that all the "other" listings aren't IM, which is
flat out wrong, and is therefore calculated to confuse users.  (Every user who
emails you that your stupid client can't login to his screenname was harmed by
your lie.)

 - Dave