[Standards] File Repository and Sharing updates

Nick Parker nickp at bu.edu
Sun Mar 11 19:27:03 UTC 2007

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> 1) Using XEP-0137 (SI)
>>
>> [...]
>> I'm planning on entirely replacing my custom file requests with SI. In
>> other words, I will be removing the "jabber" mirror type and replacing
>> it with a new "si" mirror type which holds the same information as
>> 0137's sipub element.
>
> Now, it is possible that SI-pub doesn't play well with transfers that
> don't use SI (think Jingle), so we need to think about that.
>
>> 2) Using Jingle for sending files
>>
>> I've skimmed the Jingle spec a couple times, but haven't seen anything
>> yet which explicitly covers file transfers. Is something for this coming
>> soon, or have I just been looking in the wrong places?
>
> Google Talk uses Jingle for File Transfer. Some documentation here:
>
> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/jingle-httpft.html
>
> We haven't published that yet officially, since the file transfer
> landscape is a bit unsettled right now. :(
>
>> Assuming there's
>> something out there for sending files over Jingle, it seems like the
>> best thing to do would be simply adding a "jingle" mirror type which
>> holds the info for requesting the file. If, instead, Jingle file
>> transfers can be requested with SI, then it can simply be listed as
>> another SI mirror with a different 'profile' field.
>
> Yes that seems reasonable.

After looking through jingle-httpft and SI, it looks like there wouldn't
be any problem with using SI, at least as far as the listings are
concerned. File-transfer's "file" element can simply be replaced with
jingle-httpft's "description" element. Here's an example, plugging
httpft's Example 1 into 0137's Example 2:

<iq from='bard at shakespeare.lit/globe'
     to='pubsub.shakespeare.lit'
     id='ps1'>
     <publish node='characters'>
       <sipub xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/si-pub'
           from='bard at shakespeare.lit'
           id='publish-0123'
           mime-type='multipart/form-data(?)'
           profile='http://jabber.org/protocol/si/profile/jingle-httpft'>
         <description
xmlns='http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-XXXX.html#ns'>
           <manifest>
             <file size='341'>
               <name>file.txt</name>
             </file>
             <file size='51321'>
               <name>picture.jpg</name>
               <image width='480' height='320'/>
             </file>
             <folder>
               <name>directory</name>
             </folder>
           </manifest>
           <http>
             <url name='source-path'>/source/23A53F01/</url>
             <url name='preview-path'>/preview/90266EA1/</url>
           </http>
         </description>
         </file>
       </sipub>
     </publish>
   </pubsub>
</iq>

PS: A minor bug in the SI protocol: In Examples 2 and 3, the mime-type
field is "text/plain" for a PDF, should it instead be "application/pdf"?