Friendly XMPP Branding (Re: [Standards] XMPP vs. Jabber)

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Tue Mar 13 02:13:16 UTC 2007

On Thursday 08 March 2007 3:42 pm, Rachel Blackman wrote:
> Seriously, all Jhonen Vasquez references aside, renaming the system
> yet again is not going to do anything to clarify the situation, I
> don't think.

As I thought about it some more, I realized that the name "Jabber" served a
special purpose for us.  When the name "XMPP" surfaced, we started
using "XMPP" to refer to the base XML-routing protocol, and "Jabber" to refer
to IM over XMPP.  Now that the use of "Jabber" is discouraged, we lost more
than a synonym for XMPP, we lost our term for "IM over XMPP".

I think it would be helpful to come up with a term to replace Jabber in this
context, and for that I'm quite in favor of XIM, since it would literally
mean XMPP IM.

-Justin