Friendly XMPP Branding (Re: [Standards] XMPP vs. Jabber)

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Tue Mar 13 03:14:21 UTC 2007

On Monday 12 March 2007 7:41 pm, Remko Tronçon wrote:
> > I think it would be helpful to come up with a term to replace Jabber in
> > this context, and for that I'm quite in favor of XIM, since it would
> > literally mean XMPP IM.
>
> The problem we have with XIM is that about every domain has a xim.*
> Using this name would cause even more trouble than Jabber does now.

The presence of "xim" domains is not surprising, since it is such a short
word.  What is surprising is that it isn't being used very well (xim.org is
Canada drugs?  xim.com falls just shy of a domain-squatting portal?).  With
all these different companies in the 'xim' space, I don't think we'd have any
problem using the name as long as no one has it trademarked for IM.

-Justin