[Standards] Entity Capabilities Woes

Ryan ryan at evine.ca
Wed Mar 14 16:06:48 UTC 2007

I have to admit I have not read the entire prior discussions about this,
however I have a feeling I am not the only one. =)

On Tuesday 13 March 2007 21:31, Maciek Niedzielski wrote:
> I don't think there is a safe way to replace unique namespaces with some
> short strings, unless there is a registry that everyone wants to use and
> which wants to register every (even used by one person in the whole
> world) proposal. And I don't think such registry is possible...

Could we Introduce short prefix only to be used for the registred names? I
think the obvious choice is "xmpp-", however a more obscure one could be
used. This way old clients will simply go on to disco these as per XEP-0115,
but new ones can hardcode the list of features.

e.g.
<presence>
  <c xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/caps'
     node='http://exodus.jabberstudio.org/caps'
     ver='0.9.1'
     ext='xmpp-xhtml xmpp-muc plugin1'/>
</presence>

Given the length of the debate, and the simplicity of this solution, I feel I
may I'm missing something....

--Ryan