[Standards] Entity Capabilities Woes

Maciek Niedzielski machekku at uaznia.net
Wed Mar 14 17:06:31 UTC 2007

Ryan wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 March 2007 21:31, Maciek Niedzielski wrote:
> Could we Introduce short prefix only to be used for the registred names? I
> think the obvious choice is "xmpp-", however a more obscure one could be
> used. This way old clients will simply go on to disco these as per XEP-0115,
> but new ones can hardcode the list of features.
>
> e.g.
> <presence>
>   <c xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/caps'
>      node='http://exodus.jabberstudio.org/caps'
>      ver='0.9.1'
>      ext='xmpp-xhtml xmpp-muc plugin1'/>
> </presence>

I think it is important to notice that "ext" doesn't mean "extension" as
in "XEP", but as in "client's basic feature set extension". So the fact
that there is no "xmpp-xhtml" in "ext" wouldn't automatically mean that
this client doesn't support XHTML-IM. This could be one of two: a) it
really doesn't support it, or b) it supports it always (without on/off
option), so it is not advertised as caps extension.

And if we decide to drop this "ext" interpretation, then we'd have to
start sending things like:

<presence>
  <c xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/caps"
     node="http://psi-im.org/caps"
     ver="0.11-dev-rev8" ext="xmpp-bytestreams xmpp-si
xmpp-si/profile/file-transfer xmpp-disco#info xmpp-commands xmpp-rosterx
xmpp-muc xmpp-x-data xmpp-chatstates xmpp-mood xmpp-tune xmpp-physloc
xmpp-geoloc xmpp-avatar#data xmpp-avatar#metadata xmpp-mood+notify
xmpp-tune+notify xmpp-physloc+notify xmpp-geoloc+notify
xmpp-avatar#metadata+notify xmpp-xhtml-im"/>
</presence>

And it doesn't look so nice, I think ;)

--
Maciek