[Standards] Entity Capabilities Woes

JD Conley jd.conley at coversant.net
Wed Mar 14 19:03:01 UTC 2007

I respectfully disagree my smart, friendly, non-violent colleague down
the hall. :)

> I've implemented the existing caps protocol, and I feel the same way.
> What's there today works, but just feels a bit overly complicated...

I think it's the perfect mix of flexibility and simplicity. Really. You
see something, you query it, you cache it. It maps to the real feature
namespace. Done.

> Now, for example, on my Smartphone, I reboot the damn thing every day.
> This means any caching that was done is likely to be gone. Given that
> bandwidth on mobile devices is expensive, and my roster is pretty big,
> this isn't a great solution.

Cache it to a persistent store.

> I like the simple case as opposed to what we have now. I also like
> "rollups" so that if a client saw:
> 	<ext='basic'/>
>
> It would (internally) turn this into:
> 	<ext='xhtml muc pep avatar'/>

So do it. Push a "basic" ext out. Then the disco to the basic node would
return the rolled up feature set.

-JD