[Standards] Entity Capabilities Woes

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Wed Mar 14 22:19:20 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Mar 14, 2007, at 6:05 PM, Chris Mullins wrote:

>> Given the length of the debate, and the simplicity of this
>> solution, I feel I may I'm missing something....
>
> I've implemented the existing caps protocol, and I feel the same way.
> What's there today works, but just feels a bit overly complicated
> and it
> certainly takes up more bandwidth than it needs to. Every time a
> client
> starts "for the first time", it sucks up a large amount of bandwidth.

Not necessarily. You could just query them when you start a chat with
your buddy.

At least in our case, we decided it was not a problem, because we
fetch avatars of other buddies, and complaining about CAPS when you
suck 30k of base64 PNGs per roster item, well, it seemed silly :)

> Now, for example, on my Smartphone, I reboot the damn thing every day.
> This means any caching that was done is likely to be gone. Given that
> bandwidth on mobile devices is expensive, and my roster is pretty big,
> this isn't a great solution.

I'm ignorant of smartphone limitations. Couldn't you make your cache
persistent somehow?

Best regards,
--
Pedro Melo