[Standards] Entity Capabilities Woes

Remko Tronçon remko at el-tramo.be
Thu Mar 15 07:23:00 UTC 2007

> Heh, I think you got confused because the XEP is needlessly complicated.

Being a client-complexity watchdog, I feel I should react to this :-)
There is a huge difference between XEPs that are overly complicated to
implement, and XEPs that are complicated to understand (because the
initial requirements make them complicated). We shouldn't make worse
XEPs just because everyone doesn't understand them immediately;
instead, we should try and explain them better.

Caps might be the hardest XEP to understand (it's not just i send you
a question, you send me the answer), but it is the simplest and most
flexible solution we have for those requirements. I haven't yet heard
any other proposal that meets them, I don't see how it could be done
better, and I never complained about it while I implemented the XEP
(something I did with a lot of other XEPs, that *really* were overly
complicated).

cheers,
Remko