[Standards] Feedback on I/O Object Forms

"Julian Kölle" aliban at gmx.net
Fri Mar 16 12:25:31 UTC 2007

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:08:47 +0100
Von: Jakob Schroeter <js at camaya.net>

> Of course, re-using Data Forms doesn't mean you have to re-use existing
> client
> implementations, or any GUI at all.
>
> In general, though, I'm just opposing to duplication of yet another
> protocol
> iff the same can be achieved with something existing.

I don't like reinventing the wheel, too. But X-Data was designed for machine to human interaction. Why not have a data form for machine to machine interaction?

The Ad-Hoc Commands component would even export both at the same time; one for the can-be-used-by-any-existing-client X-Data form, which might have some limited GUI-friendly functionality, and in parallel the other API like IO-Object Forms for writing scripts. Compatibility will be ensured, X-Data will be still compatible with any client.

Why is Ad-Hoc Commands designed to also support other data forms if nobody is allowed to define more specific ones?

Best regards,
Edrin