[Standards] About stream namespaces

Robin Redeker elmex at x-paste.de
Fri Mar 16 16:19:42 UTC 2007

Hi!

In RFC3920 section 11.2.2. 'Default Namespace' I read:

   An implementation SHOULD NOT generate namespace prefixes for elements
   qualified by content (as opposed to stream) namespaces other than
   'jabber:client' and 'jabber:server'.

What exactly does that mean? It's not entirely clear to me what
'content namespace' means.

I guess that it means that I SHOULD NOT generate prefixes for first-level
children of the <stream> element if the namespace would not be 'jabber:client'
or 'jabber:server'?

So in literal does it mean that I should not generate something like
this:

    <__NS1:starttls xmlns:__NS1="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-tls"/>

?

I'm confused... preventing such prefixes does make implementation, at
least for me, a bit more complicated. As I have to take care that my
XML writer does not generate prefixes for the first-level children of
the <stream> element.

Thanks,
   Robin