[Standards] About stream namespaces

Robin Redeker elmex at x-paste.de
Fri Mar 16 16:58:32 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 09:51:24AM -0700, JD Conley wrote:
> > So in literal does it mean that I should not generate something like
> > this:
> >
> >     <__NS1:starttls xmlns:__NS1="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-tls"/>
> >

> Yes.

:-(

> > I'm confused... preventing such prefixes does make implementation, at
> > least for me, a bit more complicated. As I have to take care that my
> > XML writer does not generate prefixes for the first-level children of
> > the <stream> element.
>
> Don't worry. You're not alone. But this is the way it is. :)

Enforcing this kind of backward compatibility for new client
implementations does not make much sense for me. It would make more
sense if servers would would be told that they MAY not generate
such prefixes to take care of old clients.

At least with that SHOULD NOT in place this issue will never be
resolved because server implementors might say: "Well, RFC says you
SHOULD NOT do that. I won't fix it.". And client developers will
have to obey :-)

Robin